Settled Status

EU population in Brent

The Office for National Statistics, in their Annual Population Survey for July 2017 to June 2018, estimates the number of Brent residents by their country of birth from several groups of EU countries:

Total population in Brent335,000
Total population born in EU countries other than the UK55,000 (16.4%)
EU14 (the pre-2004 countries): Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Spain and Sweden23,000 (6.9%)
EU8 (joined in 2004): Czech Republic, Estonia, Poland, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovakia and Slovenia14,000 (4.2%)
EU2 (joined in 2007): Bulgaria and Romania17,000 (5.1%)
Other: Malta and Cyprus (both joined in 2004) and Croatia (2013)~1,000 (<1%)

Source: Office of National Statistics Annual Population Survey for July 2017 to June 2018. See the source data for confidence intervals on the estimates and other constraints and interpretations of these data.

Settled Status Scheme

As the figures above show, one in six Brent residents was born in an EU country outside the UK.

If we leave the EU and you’re an EU citizen, you and your family must apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021 (note that this date might change). If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled status or pre-settled status.

You’ll need to apply if you’re an EU citizen or a family member of an EU citizen, except for in a few cases.

You will not need to apply if you have:

  • British or Irish citizenship (including ‘dual citizenship’)
  • indefinite leave to enter the UK
  • indefinite leave to remain in the UK

Otherwise you’ll need to apply, even if you:

  • were born in the UK but are not a British citizen
  • have a UK ‘permanent residence document’
  • moved to the UK before it joined the EU
  • are a family member of someone from the EU (including Ireland) who does not need to apply


If you don’t apply or your application fails, you may need to leave the UK by 30 June 2021.

In an interview with the German newspaper Die Welt, reported in the Guardian on 10 October 2019, the security minister, Brandon Lewis, said non-UK EU citizens risked being deported if they failed to apply by the end of 2020. “If EU citizens have not registered by then without an adequate justification, the immigration rules will apply,” Lewis said.

Asked whether those who did not apply in the next 14 months would face deportation even if they fulfilled all legal conditions for a residence permit, Lewis said: “Theoretically yes. We will apply the rules.”

Note that if we leave the EU without a deal, the deadline for applying for Settled Status or for leaving the UK is 31 December 2020.

The Settled Status scheme opened on 30 March 2019. Brent Council’s website offers advice and guidance on the scheme on their Brexit pages.

Note that the rules and procedure for applying for settled or pre-settled status are complex and could be time-consuming.

Note that Brent4Europe cannot give any advice on this: the above details are provided solely to make Brent residents aware of the situation and to point them to official information. You must seek professional advice if required before making your own decisions.

For full details of the scheme, see the Government’s Settled and pre-settled status for EU citizens and their families.

Advice for schools

On 18 July 2019, the Government issued updated advice: Advice for schools on how to prepare for Brexit. This reiterated that any pupils, employees and their families who are non-UK EU, EEA or Swiss citizens will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 2020, warning that state-funded schools that routinely recruit non-UK EU, EEA and Swiss nationals from overseas should reconsider their recruitment strategy in light of  the new ‘new skills-based immigration system’ that will come into force in 2021.

School meals and medical supplies

The advice also covered the impact that Brexit might have on the ability of schools to provide meals for pupils, emphasising it is the responsibility of local authorities or academy trusts to provide those meals but that, in the light of shortages, they may have to plan to adapt menus to allow for product substitution.

The advice states that the government is working closely with the NHS and its suppliers to help ensure that supplies of medicines and medical devices can continue to flow into the UK without significant delays if the UK were to leave the EU without a deal. Schools should continue with their normal arrangements for medical supplies to support pupils with health conditions, but that there could be significant delays if the UK were to leave the EU without a deal.

The advice also highlighted previous advice: Planning for a possible no-deal Brexit: information for the health and care sector.

Help share this article

Click on the share icons or click on the email icon to email it to a friend or relative in Brent.

How can you help?

Write to your MP. Click here to find out more.

If you want to join us or are able to volunteer your time and skills, please contact us.